Thursday 27 October 2011

Internet in my Underwear? No Thank you


The Internet of things, such a ridiculously interesting topic!!

When Ted gave the example of a table connected to te Internet my mind immediately jumped to TRON the movie and their table tops. Then I thought about it and I've actually used a table connected to the Internet (see right).

I know that this isn't a valid example but it's what my mind first jumped to. (If anyone cares, the example is Touchmagix multitouch table computer which runs Apple Mac Mini OS. Another win for Apple!)

I love the cute definition of it: objects and appliances working together to make my life easier. It would be lovely to wake up in the morning to the TV playing a show I recorded last night, but hadn't had a chance to watch yet, the kettle on ready to make tea and the room being the perfect temperature from the automated aircon.

I can also see how it would be helpful: My brother, Sam, often walks around the house wearing his favourite pair of green footy shorts, he has been seen to be wearing them for 6 days in a row. My mum observed this and asked him how long it had been since he washed his shorts (I would estimate about 2 months), Sam just shrugged and walked away. If these shorts were connected to the internet they would have probably self-destructed, alternatively, they could have told my mum to wash them.



However, despite the convenience the Internet of things would create, I can't help but worry about the implications. After reading Julian Bleecker's article about blogjects I freaked out, and I mean really freaked out. I'm a private person, I hate it when anyone touches my phone or even looks at it over my shoulder, I respect other people's privacy, why don't I deserve the same? Blogjects goes against everything I  believe in and hold dear.

Firstly, to be constantly tracked by my clothing, car and all other items I take with me is unsettling. I hate the idea that my whereabouts could be found by my clothing, I'd resort to leaving the house naked just to get a bit of privacy, and trust me, noone would want to see that.

Secondly, I shudder at some of the stories my objects would blog about. For example, the dress I wore (and ripped) on an extremely fun and messy night out. I find the memories funny despite the embarrassment, but if my mum read it she would promptly throw the dress away and disown me. Then throwing the dress away means that my story would be carried on to whoever finds it and I'm not cool with it becoming public and ruining my reputation.

Thirdly, I'm afraid of the computers turning on their owners. Simple as that.

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely agree! The convenience is definitely there but at what price...our privacy! The point is privacy is important. Even looking at facebook and the changes of the facebook privacy settings has always been important to users. What I find crazy is the actual thought of the changed interaction between us and objects. To me these objects were made for a purpose and that's what we are using them for, so by connecting them we are breaking boarders. By doing this it changes the interaction and even the relationship we have with objects. I can tell you now that
    in the future my ipod who I think is my best friend will turn on me and be my enemy. If my ipod had a blog it would bitch about how much abuse I've done to it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im with Arianne on this one, i think such technologies are convenient but i still worry about cyber-hackers that will log into your appliances and turn your fridge off or your taps on.. thorough post though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly doubt that computers would ever turn on their owners but if they do I think we are all screwed. My house alone comprises of 6 computers and only 4 of us living here. We are completely out numbered. Also as Ted showed in his lecture I found it very interesting that as of 2008 there were more things connected to the internet than people in the world. This is simply astounding, as I cannot comprehend how many people are in the world let alone things connected to the internet. In addition, I think there would heaps of people stoked to see you walking around naked. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, sounds like quite the night in that dress. Yeah i also don’t mind having my own privacy, and i think that in the future we may actually in fact see that we have been taking advantage of this freedom for a very long time.

    I like a lot of the convenience factors that relate to "internet of things" but personally its sounds like an awful lot of setting up of all the different products would have to occur first to get this seamless techno world where everything is done by its self. I know it’s meant to be social and work out what we but I think it will take some time to be completely fine tuned.

    ReplyDelete